Advice and Links
The following is a very partial list of things written others that I've found useful -- thank you to the authors!
- Guidelines for Academic Requesters on Mechanical Turk, WeAreDynamo
- A Guide To Using Corporate Data for Academic Research, Andrey Fradkin
- The Unwritten Rules Of PhD Research, Marian Petre and Gordon Rugg
- You and Your Research, Richard Hamming
- A Few Tips On Writing Papers With Mathematical Content, John Tsitsiklis
- How NOT to review a paper: the tools and techniques of the adversarial reviewer, Graham Cormode
- How to get startup ideas, Paul Graham
- Never Split the Difference: Negotiating as if your life depending on it, Chris Voss
- How I create plots in Python, including LaTeX support for text
- latexpand is a perl script that flattens a tex file (expands \input, \include) and strips comments. Useful for uploading to arXiv.